One of the shire towns of York county. It lies 24 miles N. from York, 35 S. from Portland, and 86 S.W. from Augusta. Incorporated, 1808. Population, 1837, 1,360. This is a good farming town and is well watered by the higher sources of Mousum river, which meets the sea at Kennebunk. In this town is a society of those neat and industrious horticulturists and artizans, denominated "Shakers."