Hartford county. This most ancient town in Connecticut is situated on the west side of Connecticut river, 6 miles N. from Hartford. Population, 1830, 3,220. The surface of the town is generally level, having some extensive plains. The soil is various, and free from stone: some of it is light, but a large proportion of it is fertile, containing extensive tracts of rich meadow.
Farmington river passes through the town, and meeting the Connecticut, gives the town a good hydraulic power.
There are in Windsor 4 paper mills, 2 manufactories of cotton batting, and factories of satinet, Kentucky jean, wire, &c. The business in these manufacturing establishments is very considerable. At a place called Pine Meadow, at the commencement of the locks on the Enfield canal, a variety of ship and other timber is prepared for market. Pine Meadow is opposite to Warehouse Point in East Windsor.
The centre village in Windsor is pleasantly extended on the banks of the Connecticut; it is well built, well shaded, and commands delightful prospects.
Poquonnuck village is a few miles N. from the centre. It is a manufacturing village, delightfully situated at the head of navigation on Farmington river.