New Haven county. "Wallingford is bounded N. by Meriden, W. by Cheshire, E. by Durham and Middletown, and S. by North Bradford and North Haven. Its length from east to west is nearly 7 miles, and its breadth about 6. The central part of Wallingford is 13 miles N. from New Haven, 23 S. from Hartford, and between 11 and 12 miles S.W. from Middletown. The prevailing surface is pleasantly diversified with moderate hills and dales; the eastern extremity of the township is mountainous. The soil is generally excellent, excepting a tract called Wallingford plain, consisting of coarse sand, situated on the eastern bank of the Quinnipiac. It is nearly 4 miles in length and about 3/4 of a mile in breadth. It is the most extensive tract of level land in the state, and one of the most sterile and barren. The town is watered by the Quinnipiac, a valuable mill stream, which passes through the extent of the town, upon which are several mills and manufactories. Yaleville is a little manufacturing village in the northern section of the town, where britannia and tin ware is manufactured to some extent. There is an establishment westward of the main street, on the Quinnipiac, for the manufacture of wood screws, of which there are about 1,000 groce manufactured daily. The principal village of Wallingford is beautifully situated on a fine elevation upwards of a mile east of the river, on two parallel streets extending along the ridge of the hill. The western street, on which the principal part of the village is situated, is upwards of a mile in length."
Wallingford originally belonged to New Haven, and was called New Haven Village. It was first settled about the year 1669. Population, 1830, 2,418.