Tolland county. This town lies 22 miles N.E. from Hartford, 10 N. by W. from Tolland, and 12 S.E. from Springfield, Mass. First settled, 1713. It was incorporated by Massachusetts in 1734, and named in honor of Lord Somers, at the request of Governor Belcher.
Part of the town is level and productive of grass and grain, and part is quite elevated, producing good pasturage for sheep, and presenting delightful views of the valley of Connecticut river. It is watered by Scantic river.
Somers has a very neat village, in which is a large establishment for the manufacture of straw bonnets. Population, 1830, 1,429.