New London county. Montville was taken from New London in 1786. The surface is hilly and stony; the soil a dry, gravelly loam, strong and fertile. It lies on the W. side of the river Thames, 35 miles S.E. from Hartford, 8 N. from New London, and 7 S. from Norwich. The town has a good water power and contains 3 cotton and 2 woolen factories, and an oil mill. Population, 1830, 1,964.
This, and a large tract of country lying north and east of it, formerly belonged to the Mohegans, a tribe of Indians once celebrated for their warlike prowess and friendship to the English. In Montville is a tract reserved by the state for that tribe, "on the land of their fathers."