New Haven county. This hilly and somewhat mountainous township has, in general, a fertile soil, and is watered by Quinnepiac river. It lies 17 miles S.E. from Hartford and 17 N.W. from New Haven. It was formerly a part of Wallingford, and incorporated in 1806.—Population, 1830, 1,708.
This is one of the most flourishing and enterprising manufacturing towns in the state. There is a considerable variety of manufactures here, forming the chief employment of the inhabitants. The following is a list of the manufactories, viz: 2 for patent augers and auger bits, 3 for ivory combs, 6 for tin ware, 4 for Britannia ware, 2 iron foundries, 1 manufactory for coffee mills, 1 for clocks, 1 for Norfolk door latches, 3 for block tin spoons, 1 for wool combs, 1 for skates and iron rakes, and 1 for gridirons. The value of articles manufactured yearly has been estimated from 800,000 to 1,000,000 of dollars.
About thirty years since a road was constructed from the north-western part of Meriden to Berlin, through a narrow and romantic glen, between two ridges of the Blue mountains; this pass, which is more than a mile in extent, is called the Cat Hole. In some parts of this glen there is but barely room for a path; small angular fragments of rocks rise on each side, at about an angle of forty five degrees; these rocks have been beaten down and covered with earth, which must have been brought here for the purpose. A few yards south of this place, elevated perpendicular rocks appear on the left, one of which has very much the appearance of a profile of the human face, and it is thought by some to resemble in a slight degree the profile of Washington. Following the foot of the mountain on the right, for about a mile, you will find large pieces of rocks lying upon each other in great disorder, which have evidently fallen from the precipitous heights above. Underneath these rocks ice may be found in almost every month of the year. A spring issues from between them, called the Cold Spring, and is a place of resort for parties in summer.