New Haven county. An uneven township, of strong soil, on Long Island Sound, about 7 miles E. from New Haven. Thimble islands and Indian islands lie within the limits of the town. Here are fish of various kinds, a small stream of water, a harbor, and some vessels engaged in the fishery. The town was settled in 1644. Population, 1830, 2,332. A beautiful pond called Saltonstall's lake lies between Branford and East Haven.