Washington county. This town is situated 10 miles N. from Montpelier and 30 E. by S. from Burlington. First settled, 1797. Population, 1820, 44, and in 1830, 432. A branch of Onion river gives the town a good water power, and which is used for various purposes. Much of this township is mountainous, but there is some good land along the streams, and the highlands afford pasturage for cattle.