Washington county. The surface of Waterbury is generally level, with some pleasant swells. The soil is warm and fertile: the meadow lands on the rivers, of which there are large tracts, are not excelled, in richness, by any in the state.
This town is separated from Duxbury by Onion river, which, with Waterbury river and other streams, afford the town a good water power. It was first settled in 1784. Population, 1830, 1,650. It lies 12 miles N.W. from Montpelier and 24 E.S.E. from Burlington.
In the southwest corner of the township, the passage of Onion river through a considerable hill, is considered a curiosity. The stream has here worn a channel through the rocks, which in times past, undoubtedly, formed a cataract below of no ordinary height, and a considerable lake above. The chasm is at present about one hundred feet wide, and nearly as deep. On one side the rocks are nearly perpendicular, some of which have fallen across the bed of the stream, in such a manner as to form a bridge, passable, however, only at low water. On the same side the rocks which appear to have been loosened and moved by the undermining of the water, have again rested, and become fixed in such a posture as to form several caverns or caves, some of which have the appearance of rooms fitted for the convenience of man. Several musket balls and flints were found in the extreme part of the cavern, a few years since, with the appearance of having lain there many years, which makes it evident that it was known to the early hunters.
Waterbury River, rises in Morristown, and runs south through the western part of Stow and Waterbury into Onion river. In Stow, it receives one considerable tributary from the east which rises in Worcester, and two from the west which rise in Mansfield. It also receives several tributaries from the west, in Waterbury, which originate in Bolton. The whole length of the stream is about 16 miles, and it affords a number of good mill privileges.