South Hero, Vermont
Grand Isle county. Lake Champlain bounds this town on all sides.—The passage in the lake however, is very narrow between the towns of N. and S. Hero. It lies 12 miles N.W. from Burlington, and 16 S.S.W. from St. Albans. The lake is fordable a considerable part of the year on the Vermont side. This town was formerly a part of North Hero, and was separated from it in 1788. First settled, 1784. Population, 1830, 717. South Hero contains an area of about 9,065 acres of level land of an excellent soil. Its basis is limestone. It is supposed that all the lands of this island county were once covered by the waters of the lake, as clam shells are found incorporated with the rocks in the highest places. The scenery around these islands is beautiful. This vicinity was a favorite resort for the Indians, as appears from a large number of their implements found on the islands. It seems they manufactured hatchets, spear heads, chisels, arrows, and a variety of other implements at this place, from a flint stone not found in this region, but brought from a distance. This town furnishes a great abundance of food for the inhabitants, and some for exportation. It feeds about 6,200 sheep. This is a pleasant stopping place for the angler, the painter or the geologist.