Chittenden county. Milton is bounded on the W. by lake Champlain, and is finely watered by the river Lamoille. It lies 12 miles N. from Burlington and 40 N.W. from Montpelier. Population, 1830, 2,100. The soil of the town is generally good, and about 9,000 sheep graze in its pastures. There are some places in Milton worthy of the traveller's notice. A little distance from the neat and flourishing village are the Great falls, on the Lamoille. In the course of 50 rods the whole river falls 150 feet.—About the middle of the rapid is a small island, by which the water passes on each side, with great violence and loud roaring. The scenery on the banks of the river is wild and beautiful. There are some mills on the river, and considerable trade on the lake.