Washington county. Onion river and other streams give this town a good water power. It has numerous manufacturing concerns, and a very pleasant village. The soil along the streams is good, and that of the uplands, generally, is adapted for grazing. It lies 30 miles E.S.E. from Burlington, and is bounded by Montpelier on the S.E. First settled in 1781. Population, 1830, 1,156.
There is a curious chasm in Middlesex, on Onion river, near Moretown. The river has worn a passage through rocks 30 feet in depth, 60 feet in width, and about 80 rods in length. The walls on each side are very smooth, over which a bridge is thrown. This place is worthy of a visit.