Washington county. This town, containing 23,040 acres, was granted to the Stockbridge Indians in 1782, and sold by them to Isaac Marsh, in 1789, for £140. A part of the soil is good and a part wet and stony. The town produces considerable wool, and some cattle are reared for market. It has a pleasant pond, and Onion river passes through it. It lies 12 miles N.E. from Montpelier. First settled 1790. Population, 1830, 1,271.