Essex county. A mountainous township, on the W. side of Connecticut river, with a small portion of intervale. There are several brooks in the town, and a beautiful cascade of 50 feet. There is a mountain in the town called "the Monadnock of Vermont," from which may be discovered that this town, generally, is not fit for cultivation. It lies 64 miles N.E. from Montpelier and 24 N. from Guildhall. Population, 1830, 183.