Essex county. First settled 1788. Population, 1830, 1,031. On the W. side of Connecticut river: 38 miles E. by N. from Montpelier, and 18 S.W. from Guildhall. Moose river, a branch of the Passumpsic, waters the north part of the town. Hall's and Mile ponds are beautiful sheets of water, and afford a variety of fish. The soil of the town is pretty good, and keeps about 3,000 sheep.