Chittenden County, Vermont
Burlington is the chief town. This county is bounded N. by Franklin county, E. by Washington county, S. by Addison county, and W. by Champlain lake. Area, 500 square miles. Population, 1820, 16,055; 1830, 21,765. Population to a square mile, about 44. A few settlements commenced in this county before the revolution, but they were all abandoned during the war. Incorporated 1782. Its soil varies from rich alluvial meadows to light and sandy plains. The beautiful Champlain washing its western boundary gives it great facilities for trade to New York and Canada. Its agricultural and manufacturing products are considerable. In 1837 there were in this county about 80,000 sheep. Lamoille river passes through its N.W. corner, and Onion river pierces its centre. These streams, with several others of smaller size, afford the county a good water power.