Rumney, New Hampshire
Grafton county. Rumney is 8 miles N.N.W. from Plymouth, 47 N. by W. from Concord. It is watered by Baker's river, of which a considerable branch flows from Stinson's pond, and is called Stinson's brook. The pond is 400 rods long and 280 rods wide. Part of Loon pond is on the E. line of this town. The principal elevations are Stinson's and Webber's mountains in the E. part, and a small part of Carr's mountain, which here obtains the name of Rattlesnake mountain, on its N.W. border. Rumney was granted in 1767, and was first settled in 1765. It was in this town, on the 28th of April, 1752, that the late General Stark, while on a hunting expedition, was captured by a party of 10 Indians commanded by Francis Titigaw. He was in company with Amos Eastman of Concord, David Stinson of Londonderry, and his brother William. Stinson was slain. Population in 1830, 993.