Pelham, New Hampshire
Hillsborough county. This town is distant 37 miles S. from Concord and 19 S.E. from Amherst. Here are three ponds, called Gumpas, Island, and North ponds. Beaver river passes through the town. On this river and the tributary streams there is much valuable meadow.—The inhabitants depend principally on agriculture for the means of support. Much timber and cord wood are carried annually to the banks of the Merrimack, and thence conveyed to Newburyport, or to Boston through Middlesex canal. The first settlements were made in 1722. The town was incorporated in 1746, about 5 years after the state line was established, by which a part was separated from Dracut, Mass. Population in 1830, 1,075.