Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Cheshire county. This town lies 62 miles N.W. from Boston and 40 S.W. by S. from Concord. The Grand Monadnock is situated in the N.W. part of this town and in Dublin. Innumerable streams of water issue from the mountain. Those which issue from the western side discharge themselves into the Connecticut river; those from the eastern form the head waters of Contoocook river. The largest stream rises about 100 rods from the summit and descends in a S.E. direction. With this brook, the thirsty and fatigued visitors of the mountain associate the most pleasing recollections. The uneven soil of Jaffrey, affording numerous meadows, and early and rich pastures, is peculiarly adapted to raising cattle. There are several ponds in this town. Out of 3, issue streams sufficient to carry mills erected near their outlets. In the largest, which is 400 rods long, and 140 wide, is an island comprising about 10 acres. About 1 1/2 miles S.E. from the mountains is the "Monadnock mineral spring." The spring is slightly impregnated with carbonate of iron and sulphurate of soda. It preserves so uniform a temperature as never to have been known to freeze. Where the spring issues from the earth, yellow ochre is thrown out. In this town are a cotton and woolen factory, and various mills. The first permanent settlement was made in 1758. Jaffrey was incorporated in 1773, receiving its name from George Jaffrey, Esq., of Portsmouth, one of the original proprietors. Population in 1830, 1,354.