Jackson, New Hampshire
Coos county, situated on the E. side of the White mountains. The surface of the town is uneven, but the soil is rich and productive. It is watered principally by the two branches of Ellis' river, passing from the N. and uniting on the S. border near Spruce mountain.—The principal elevations are called Black, Baldface, and Thorn mountains. Benjamin Copp was the first settler; he moved into Jackson in 1799, and with his family buffeted the terrors of the wilderness fourteen years, before any other person settled here. The town was incorporated December 4, 1800, by the name of Adams, which name it retained until 1829, when it was changed to Jackson. Population in 1830, 515.