Hollis, New Hampshire
Hillsborough county. It is 8 miles S. from Amherst and 36 S. from Concord. Nashua river waters the S.E. part, and Nisitissit crosses the S.W. extremity. There are 4 ponds, known by the name of Flint's, Penichook, Long and Rocky ponds. There is a pleasant village near the centre of the town, on a site somewhat elevated. The original name of Hollis was Nisitissit, its Indian name. The first settlement was made in 1731. It was incorporated in April, 1746.—The name is either derived from Thomas Hollis, a distinguished benefactor of Harvard college, or from the Duke of New Castle. Population, 1830, 1,501.