Deering, New Hampshire
Hillsborough county, 23 miles S.W. from Concord and 22 N.W. from Amherst. It is diversified with hills and valleys, is well watered, and its soil is favorable to the several purposes of agriculture. There are three ponds, Dudley, Pecker's, and Fulton's. The two former are sources of the N. branch of Piscataquoag river. There are some manufactures in this town, and bricks are made in a considerable quantity. Deering was incorporated Jan. 17, 1774. The name was given by Gov. John Wentworth, in honor of his wife, whose maiden name was Dering. The first permanent settlement was made in 1765 by Alexander Robinson. Population, 1830, 1,227.