Berkshire county. This mountainous town is watered by branches of Westfield and Housatonick rivers. The soil is well adapted for grazing. In 1837, 5,209 sheep were sheared in the town, producing 15,627 pounds of wool, principally merino. There is found in this town a porous quartz, which is used as buhr stones, for mill stones; and is remarkable for resisting heat. Washington was incorporated in 1777. It is 122 miles W. from Boston and S.E. from Lenox. Population, 1837, 758.