Essex county. Saugus was taken from Lynn in 1815, and derives its name from the Indian name of the river which passes through it. That river is exceedingly crooked in its course, and forms large tracts of meadow. The uplands are uneven and rocky. It lies 10 miles S.W. from Salem and 9 N. by E. from Boston. Population, 1837, 1,123.
The value of the manufactures of Saugus, the year ending April 1, 1837, was about $200,000. They consisted of shoes, ($150,000) chocolate, morocco leather, snuff, cigars, bricks, wool cleaning, and silk and woolen dyeing.