Berkshire county. This town is situated in a deep valley of excellent soil, surrounded by elevated lands, and watered by Williams' river. This is an excellent farming town; the farmers' houses, extending some miles on one street, are neatly built and make a beautiful appearance. Iron ore of a good quality is found here in abundance, also marble and lime. The manufactures of the town consist of pig iron, shovels, spades, forks, hoes, leather, boots and shoes. Annual value, about $50,000. In 1836, there were 4,835 merino sheep in Richmond. They produced 14,505 pounds of wool, valued at $8,703. It lies 135 miles W. from Boston and 5 W. from Lenox. Incorporated, 1765. Population, 1837, 820.