Middlesex county. A very beautiful, agricultural and manufacturing town, the Nonantum of the Indians, 7 miles W. by S. from Boston, 12 S.E. from Concord, and 7 N. from Dedham. Charles river washes the borders of this town 15 miles, and, by two falls of considerable extent, affords it a great and valuable water power. Nine bridges cross Charles river in this town. The soil is generally very good, and highly cultivated. There are 2 cotton, 1 woolen, and 5 paper mills in the town, and manufactures of nails, rolled iron, candles, vitriol, barilla, chaises, harnesses, morocco, leather, boots, shoes, machinery, chairs, and cabinet ware; the value of which, the year ending April 1, 1837, amounted to $815,872. Newton was incorporated in 1691; it formerly comprised the town of Cambridge, and is noted as the birth place and residence of many distinguished men. Population, 1830, 2,377; 1837, 3,037. A Theological Seminary was established in this town, in 1825.