Essex county. This ancient and respectable town lies on Merrimack river, opposite to Salisbury. It formerly comprised the territory of Newburyport and West Newbury. The soil is of an excellent quality, and in a high state of cultivation. Parker and Artichoke rivers are pleasant streams; the former falls nearly 50 feet in the town, and affords it good mill seats. A part of Plum island is attached to this town. This island, about nine miles in length and one in breadth, extending from Ipswich river to the mouth of the Merrimack, is comprised of sandy beach and salt meadow; and is noted for the beach plum, which ripens in September.
The manufactures of Newbury consist of cotton goods, leather, boots, shoes, carriages, cordage, fishing nets, bed cords and cotton lines; annual value about $75,000. A large number of vessels are built in the town, and some navigation is owned and employed in the coasting trade and fishery.
This town is celebrated as the birth place of many distinguished men. Theophilus Parsons, LL.D., an eminent jurist, was born in Newbury, February 24, 1750. He died in Boston, October 6, 1813.