Hampshire county. This is an elevated agricultural township, watered by a branch of Westfield river. It lies 110 miles W. from Boston, 24 W. from Northampton, and 17 S.E. from Pittsfield. Incorporated, 1783. Population, 1837, 710. There are 2 woolen mills in the town and 2 tanneries. Annual value of goods manufactured, about $75,000.—Among the productions of the soil, there were, in 1837, 9,724 fleeces of saxony wool, which weighed 26,741 pounds; value, $17,382.