Dukes county. This town lies on the S. and W. part of Martha's Vineyard. Gay Head, in this town, is the south point of the island; it is 150 feet above the sea and is crowned with one of the five lighthouses in this county.
Gay Head is about 60 miles E.N.E. of Montauk, on Long Island, and bears marks of having been subject to volcanic eruptions. The place abounds in specimens of minerals worthy the notice of geologists. This part of the island is inhabited by some descendants of the native Indians, who own part of the lands. There is some salt manufactured at this place, and about 7,000 sheep are kept. Chilmark was incorporated in 1714. Population, 1837, 700. It lies 92 miles S.E. from Boston, 33 W. from Nantucket, 23 S.E. by S. from New Bedford, and 12 S.W. by S. from Edgarton.