Penobscot county. This town derived its name from Dr. Elijah Dix, late of Boston, one of the original proprietors, and from a hill or mountain in the town, beautifully wooded to its summit. It is on the height of land between the Kennebec and Penobscot. The surface of the town is undulating; the soil excellent and of easy cultivation. It annually produces large quantities of hay, some corn, rye and wool.—In 1837, a bounty of $649 40 was obtained for raising 932 1/2 bushels of wheat. There is a pond in the town and some mill privileges. Dixmont lies 44 miles N.E. from Augusta and 24 S.W. from Bangor. Incorporated, 1807. Population, 1830, 1,323.