Fairfield county. Sherman was formerly the north part of New Fairfield, and incorporated in 1802. Population, 1830, 947. It is 60 miles S.W. from Hartford, 13 N. from Danbury, and bounded W. by the state of New York. There is a variety of soils in the town but they are generally strong, warm, and productive of grass and grain. A branch of the Housatonick waters the town. Iron ore is found here.