New Haven county. This town was taken from New Haven in 1786, from which it lies about 6 miles N. It is situated between the East and West Rock ranges of mountains, the southern terminus of the Green mountain range. The soil in many parts is easy of cultivation, but in general it is more adapted to grazing than tillage. Minerals are found here, among which are specimens of very pure copper. Mill river affords numerous sites for water works.
Whitneysville, about two miles from New Haven, is admirably located for manufacturing operations. The manufactures at the Carmel works consist of paper, carriages, coach and eliptic springs, steps, axletrees, brass work, &c. Mount Carmel, a noted elevation, 8 miles N. from New Haven, exhibits an extensive prospect. Population, 1830, 1,669.