Fairfield county. The settlement of this town commenced in 1640, and was incorporated by Stuyvesant, the Dutch governor of New York, in 1665. Greenwich comprises three parishes of villages,—West Greenwich, Greenwich on the E. and Stanwich on the N. West Greenwich, on Horse Neck, so called from a peninsula on the Sound formerly used as a horse pasture, is the largest and most important part of the town. Greenwich is watered by Bryan river, the boundary line between the town and state of New York, and the most southern part of New England. At the outlet of Byram river, on the New York side is a place called Sawpits, a noted landing place on the Sound, 28 miles N.E. from New York. Miannus creek and other small streams water the town.
A great battle took place between the Dutch and Indians at Horse Neck, in 1646. The action was long and severe, both parties fighting with much obstinacy. The Dutch with much difficulty kept the field, and the Indians withdrew. Great numbers were slain on both sides, and the graves of the dead, for a century or more, appeared like a number of small hills.
"Putnam's Hill is situated in West Greenwich, about five miles W. from Stamford, on the main road to New York. This place is celebrated for the daring exploit of General Putnam, who descended this precipice when pursued by British dragoons."
Greenwich is a rough and uneven township, with a productive soil. It presents some wild scenery along the road, and many beautiful views of Long Island Sound. It lies 48 miles W.S.W. from New Haven and 20 W.S.W. from Fairfield. Population, 1830, 3,805.