Windham county. County town.—Newfane lies about 100 miles S. from Montpelier and 12 N.W. from Brattleborough [Brattleboro]. First settled, 1766. The town is watered by a branch of West river, and several other streams. The surface of the town is diversified by hills and valleys; the soil is good, and produces white oak and walnut in abundance. There is but little waste land in the town: the uplands are inferior to none for grazing, and the intervales afford excellent tillage. Newfane exhibits a great variety of minerals, among which are some of value. Perhaps no town in the state presents a more inviting field for the mineralogist than this.
There are two pleasant villages in the town. The centre village contains the county buildings: it is on elevated land, and commands a very extensive and delightful prospect. Population, 1830, 1,441.