Windsor County, Vermont
Woodstock is the county town. This county is bounded N. by the county of Orange, E. by Connecticut river, S. by Windham county, and W. by Rutland and a part of Addison counties. It contains an area of about 900 square miles. Population, 1810, 34,877; 1820, 38,233; 1830, 40,625: population to a square mile, 48. Incorporated in 1781.
Windsor county is watered by White, Queechy, Black, West and Williams' rivers, and by other excellent mill streams. The surface of the county is uneven, and in some parts mountainous, but generally it is not too elevated to admit of cultivation. The soil produces fine crops of grain, hay, vegetables and fruits: the lands are peculiarly adapted for grazing, and about 200,000 sheep graze on its varied surface of hills and valleys.
The beautiful Connecticut, which washes its whole eastern boundary, gives to this county large tracts of alluvial meadow land, and affords it a navigable channel to the sea board, for its surplus productions, and for its wants from abroad.
The hydraulic power of Windsor county is very large, and its local position is such as to induce men of enterprize and capital to embark in manufacturing operations, which are annually increasing with fair prospects of success.