This town was one of the first settled townships in the state, and being situated near a fort for the protection of the country, it prospered rapidly. For some years the courts of law were held here; here the legislature of the state held several sessions, and here the massacre of the 13th of March, 1775, was perpetrated.
The surface and soil of this town are favorable for agriculture; and various articles of produce are annually sent to market. In 1837, 13,766 sheep were sheared in Westminster.
The principal and oldest village is delightfully situated in the east parish, on the bank of Connecticut river. The main street, which is perfectly level, crosses a table of land about one mile in diameter, considerably elevated above the river, and also above the large and fertile meadows by which it is approached on the north and south; and the whole is enclosed by a semicircle of hills which touch the river about two miles above and below the town. It is this barrier which, while it contributes to the natural beauty of the place, has, by turning the water course in another direction, deprived it of all those facilities of access, and of water power, which have so much contributed to the rapid growth of some of the neighboring villages.