Weathersfield was first settled about the year 1778. It is bounded S. by Springfield, N. by Windsor, and is 61 miles S. by E. from Montpelier. Population in 1830, 2,213. This town lies on the west side of Connecticut river, at the "Bow," so called from a bend in the river. It contains large tracts of rich meadow land, and the uplands are of a good quality.
William Jarvis, Esq., for many years a resident here, owns a large and superior farm, and has greatly benefited this section of country by the introduction of new modes of agriculture, and more valuable breeds of stock. The agricultural products of Weathersfield are very valuable: about 15,000 fleeces of fine wool are annually sheared.
This town is large, and contains a number of pleasant villages. It is watered by several ponds, and by Black river, which gives it a water power, and which is applied to manufacturing operations to some extent. In common with all the towns on Connecticut river, Weathersfield has its share of delightful scenery; and there is no better place to find it, in all its richness, than on the Ascutney, at the north part of the town.