Washington County, Vermont
Montpelier is the chief town. This county is nearly in the centre of the state, and the principal part of it lies between the two ranges of the Green Mountains. It is bounded N. by Lamoille and parts of Chittenden and Caledonia counties, E. by Caledonia county, S. by Orange and Addison, and W. by Addison, and Chittenden counties. It was incorporated in 1810, by the name of Jefferson, and took its present name in 1814. The county is finely watered by its chief river, the Winooski, or Onion, and many of its important branches. These streams afford the county an abundant water power, and manufacturing establishments increase and flourish in this mountainous region.
The surface of the county is uneven, hilly, and in some parts mountainous, but there is much valuable land along the streams, which in many parts are sluggish, and form large tracts of excellent intervale. The agricultural productions consist of neat cattle, horses, hogs, wool, and of the productions of the dairy. In 1837 there were 60,025 sheep in Washington county. There are large bodies of beautiful granite, in the county, and slate of various kinds. Population, 1820, 14,113; 1830, 21,378.
Since 1830, there have been some small changes in Washington county, in regard to territory. We will thank any of our Green Mountain friends to give us all the necessary information respecting it, for future editions. The rail road from Boston to Ogdensburgh will probably pass through this county, but we beg them not to wait for that event.