Orange county. Branches of Onion, Wait's and White rivers rise in this town, but afford no considerable water power. The two former are called Jail Branches, from the circumstance that the proprietors were required by their charter, of 1781, to erect a jail within the limits of the town, at an early period. There is some excellent land along the streams, and the uplands are generally arable and afford good pasturage. There is a neat village in the town, some trade and manufactures, and between 3,000 and 4,000 sheep are annually sheared. Washington is 15 miles S. by E. from Montpelier, and is bounded S. by Chelsea. Population, 1830, 1,374.