Grand Isle county. This town, comprising an island in Champlain lake, covering an area of 4,620 acres, was chartered in 1799 by the name of Isle La Motte. Its name was changed to Vineyard in 1802. It lies about 4 miles W. from North Hero, and was first settled in 1785. It is a very pleasant island, fertile, and abounding in excellent cedar and limestone. Pop. 1830, 459.