Orange county. The surface of this town is uneven and stony, but furnishes pasturage for a large number of sheep, horses and neat cattle. Branches of Ompomponoosuc river rise here but give the town no valuable water power. Vershire was first settled in 1780. It lies 25 miles S.E. from Montpelier, 35 N. from Windsor, and 6 E. by S. from Chelsea. Population, 1830, 1,260.