Windham county. Vernon lies on the west side of Connecticut river, opposite to Winchester, N.H. That river bends abruptly at this place, but in consequence of its elevated and rocky shore, affords this town but little intervale land. The surface is generally mountainous, rocky and unproductive. There are in the town, fine forests of oak and chestnut timber, and quarries of slate. Vernon was settled at an early period, and for many years was subject to Indian depredations. The remains of an old fort built in 1740, are now seen: many persons were killed and carried into captivity; among the latter was the celebrated Mrs. Howe. From its settlement until 1802, Vermon was called Hinsdale.