Addison county. Vergennes was first settled in 1766. The territory, which comprises an area of 480 by 400 rods, was invested with city privileges in 1788. It lies 12 miles N.W. from Middlebury and 21 S. by E. from Burlington. Population, 1830, 999. Vergennes is beautifully located on Otter creek at the falls of that stream, and is 7 miles from Lake Champlain. Otter creek, at this place, is about 500 feet wide, and, at the falls, is separated by two islands, which form 3 distinct falls, of 37 feet. These falls produce a great hydraulic power, rendered more valuable by being situated in the heart of a fertile country, and on the navigable waters of the lake.
The creek or river, between the city and the lake, is crooked, but navigable for the largest lake vessels. During the late war, this was an important depot on the lake. Here was fitted out the squadron commanded by the gallant McDonough, who met the British fleet off Plattsburgh, N.Y. on the 11th of September, 1814, and made it his.
This is a very favorable position for ship building: it now possesses important manufactories and considerable trade. Although the territory of this city is quite small, its peculiarly favorable location, and the enterprise of its people, warrant it a great degree of prosperity.