Windsor county. Springfield is situated at the S.E. corner of the county on the W. side of Connecticut river, and is 70 miles S. from Montpelier, 24 S. from Woodstock, and 110 N.W. from Boston. Population, 1830, 1,498.
The land of Springfield is generally rich, with a deep soil suitable for grass or tillage; on the rivers are extensive intervales, forming some of the most beautiful farms in the state. The principal agricultural products are corn, rye, oats, beef, pork, butter, cheese; and wool, of which 17,872 fleeces were shorn in 1837. Many horses are raised in this town and sent to market.
The principal village is situated on Black River falls, near the centre of the town. These falls are about four miles from the confluence of Black river with the Connecticut; their descent is rapid over a rocky bed, about 60 rods, when the waters are contracted, and precipitated 50 or 60 feet down an abrupt ledge into a narrow channel. This ravine extends about 12 rods; it is 60 or 70 feet deep, and is walled by perpendicular ledges of mica slate. Over this ravine has been ereced a bridge, from which may be had a full view of the falls. A mist constantly arises, in which may be seen, in a fiar day, all the colors of the rainbow.
There are in Springfield 1 cotton and 2 woolen mills, a sand paper factory, on an extensive scale, which produces an excellent article, and manufactures of machine cards, machinery, iron ware, lead pipe, hats, chairs, tin and copper wares, scythes, leather, cabinet furniture, and various other articles. This is a very flourishing town, and the scenery around its neat and handsome village is delightful.