Addison county. This town lies on the east side of Lake Champlain, and is watered by Lemonfair river, a good mill stream. It is 12 miles S.W. from Middlebury and 26 N. from Whitehall, N.Y. The lake here is about a mile wide. Population, 1830, 2,137. The surface of the town is level and the soil remarkably good. This is one of the best farming towns in the state. In 1837, there was 26,584 sheep in Shoreham. There are some manufactures in the town, and a pleasant and flourishing village on the banks of the lake. Most of the waters here are impregnated with Epsom salts. See Bridport.
Shoreham was first settled in 1766, by a number of persons who adopted the plan of holding all things in common. This mode of holding property was, however, relinquished about the time of the revolutionary war.