Franklin county. The first settlements commenced here in 1790, by Elisha and Samuel B. Sheldon, from Salisbury, Connecticut. This is a good township of land, productive of wool, grain, and other northern commodities. The river Missisque passes through the town, and Black creek, a branch of that river, gives Sheldon an ample water power. The village is a thriving place, both in its manufactures and trade. It lies 46 miles N.W. from Montpelier, 32 N. by E. from Burlington, and 10 N.N.E. from St. Albans. Population, 1830, 1,427.