Shelburn [Shelburne], Vermont
Chittenden county. On the east side of Lake Champlain, 33 miles W. by N. from Montpelier and 7 S. from Burlington. Population, 1830, 1,123. Logan's and Potter's points were settled previous to the revolutionary war by men of those names. During the war these settlements were abandoned, but re-established at its close. Shelburn is finely watered by Platt river, a pond covering 600 acres, and by the waters of the lake.
Shelburn Bay sets into the township about 4 miles from the N.W., and affords the town a good harbor, and a depot of the interior trade on the beautiful Champlain. The soil of the town is strong, fertile, and generally well improved. About 10,000 sheep are within its limits.