Windham county. This town is beautifully situated on the west side of Connecticut river, and at the celebrated "Bellows Falls," noted under Walpole, N.H. The water power afforded by these falls, with that of Williams and Saxton's rivers, which pass through the town, are of vast extent; it cannot fail of becoming exceedingly useful and of rendering this town and vicinity the site of immense manufacturing operations.
This place lies on a navigable river, 65 miles above Northampton, and 85 above Springfield, Mass., 111 above Hartford, Ct., and 23 below Windsor, Vt. It is 85 miles S. from Montpelier, and 18 N.E. from Newfane. First settled in 1753. Population, 1830, 2,272.
The surface of the town is uneven; but the soil is generally strong, warm and productive. Its agricultural products are considerable: in 1837 it pastured 12,600 sheep.
The location of Rockingham renders it a mart of much interior trade, and has caused the erection of a number of pleasant villages. The scenery around the falls, in Rockingham, is of a sublime character, and perhaps no section of New England possesses a greater variety of minerals than are found in this vicinity.