Windsor county. Rochester lies 30 miles S.S.W. from Montpelier, 37 N.W. from Windsor, and 20 S.E. from Middlebury. It is watered by White river, which supplies it with mill seats. A large part of the surface of the township is broken and mountainous, but it contains much good land for grazing and some tracts of excellent meadow. It has a pleasant village with some trade. In 1837 there were 9,000 sheep in the town. First settled, 1783. Population, 1830, 1,392.