Caledonia county. As no town can be considered properly peopled without some of the fair sex, the date of the first settlement of Peacham must have been near 1777, when Henry Elkins, the first child in town, was born. The first mill was erected in 1781. The town is well watered by several ponds and streams; the surface is pleasantly diversified; the soil fertile and well cultivated by independent farmers. The agricultural products are considerable. About 6,000 sheep are kept. Peacham lies 20 miles E. by N. from Montpelier and 8 S. by W. from Danville. Population, 1830, 1,351.